Home for Friendless Girls, Wimbledon, London
The Home for Friendless Girls was established in 1885 at Francis Grove, St George's Road, Wimbledon, London SW19. It was run by the Wimbledon, Merton and Merton Abbey branch of the Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls for 'the shelter of girls rescued from vicious surroundings.'
The Home could accommodate around 18 girls, aged from 6 to 16 at their date of admission. For each girl, a payment of £15 a year was required, together with a medical certificate and the consent of her parent or guardian.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.