North Riding of Yorkshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by North Riding of Yorkshire County Council.
- Eston House Nursery, Eston
- Cherry Tree House, Grangetown on Tees
- Guisborough Union / North Riding Council Home, 109 Bolckow Street, Guisborough*
- Residential Nursery, Guisborough
- Willow Tree House, Calf Close, Haxby
- Residential Nursery, Kirkbymoorside
- Home / Hostel, Beechgrove, Middlecave Road, Malton
- Malton Union / North Riding Council Cottage Homes, St Leonard's House, 45 Old Maltongate, Malton*
- Northend, Northallerton
- Residential Nursery, Oak Mount, Northallerton
- Children's Home and Residential Nursery, The Close, Brompton, Northallerton
- Pickering Union / North Riding Council Home, 18 Hall Garth, Pickering*
- 5 Whitby Road, Pickering*
- Oak Tree House, 37 Norman Road, Richmond
- Richmond Hill School, Gallowgate, Richmond
- Scarborough Union / North Riding Council Home, 'Sunnyside', Whin Bank, Stepney Road, Scarborough*
- Throxenby Hall, Throxenby Lane, Scarborough
- Rose Tree House, 4 Derwent Road, Skelton in Cleveland
- Home / Hostel, The Grange, Strensall
- Thorntree House, Thornaby on Tees
- Home / Hostel, Farmanby House, Roxby Road, Thornton le Dale
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to North Riding of Yorkshire Council homes may exist at:
- North Yorkshire County Record Office, Malpas Road, Northallerton DL7 8TB.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.