Brighton Home for Little Boys, Brighton, Sussex
The Brighton Home for Little Boys was established in 1862. By the 1920s, the Home had premises at 'Loxdale', Locks Hill, Upper Portslade, Brighton, and was run by the Children's Aid Society. It could accommodate up to 30 'orphan and necessitous' boys, aged 5 to 8 years at their time of admission.
In the 1960s, the property was being used as a girls' hostel by Lewisham Borough Council. Since 1979, it has been occupied by a centre for the teaching of English.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The records of the Children's Aid Society were inherited by Barnardo's. Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- The Children's Aid Society: its work and its aims. (1938)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.