Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys, Carlisle, Cumberland

The foundation stone for a girls' school run by the Order of the Sacred Heart was laid on April 16th, 1891, at a site on Etterby Scaur in the Stanwix area of Carlisle. The building, designed by Newcastle architect Charles Walker, was completed the following year. In 1903, the building was acquired by the Community of the Presentation Brothers of Cork as new premises for the Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Roman Catholic boys, previously based in Newcastle upon Tyne. On December 18th, 1905, the School was officially certified to receive up to 200 boys committed by magistrates for matters such as vagrancy or being out of the control of their parents.

During the First World War, the premises were used as a military hospital.

The School closed in 1924 and the premises were taken over by the Sisters of Nazareth for use as a Nazareth House orphanage for boys.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.