Catholic Working Boys' Home, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
On 13 June 1891, a house at 52 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, was certified for use as an Auxiliary Home for the accommodation of up to 25 boys on licence from United Industrial School. The boys were engaged during the day in various places of occupation in the city. The home was managed by the superintendent and his wife, Mr and Mrs Donoghue, under the direction of a local committee. A schoolmaster attended in the evening to give the boys the opportunity of keeping up their school knowledge.
From 3 April 1894, the home was licensed to also receive boys on licence from the St Joseph's Industrial School at Tranent. The following month, the home became officially known as the Roman Catholic Home for Working Boys.
In 1897, the home expanded to include 50 Lauriston Place. On 16 March 1897, the premises were certified to accommodate up to 60 boys.
The buildings no longer survive and part of Edinburgh College of Art now the occupies the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.