Hopehill Road Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

The Hopehill Road Day Industrial School was established in 1910 by the Glasgow Juvenile Delinquency Board and was the sixth such institution to be opened in the city. Its purpose-built premises, at 62 Hopehill Road, were formally certified for operation on 14 February 1910, with accommodation for up to 250 children, aged from 5 to 14 years. The School began began practical operation two weeks later on 28 February. The staff initially comprised: the superintendent, Miss Martha G. McLean; four teachers, cookery instructress, janitor, cook and kitchen maid.

An inspection report in 1911 recorded 108 boys and 68 girls in the school. Classroom subjects included singing, composition, recitation, mental arithmetic, geography, history and object lessons. The boys learned technical drawing and the older ones received 'manual instruction' (woodwork) at a neighbouring centre. The girls were taught needlework and knitting, with a visiting teacher provided instruction in cookery and laundry work. The janitor acted as physical training instructor and both boys and girls practised swimming at a neighbouring public baths. About 40 of the children had spent two weeks in the countryside under the Fresh Air Fortnight scheme.

In 1925, control of the School was passed to the Glasgow City Education Authority. On 31 March 1930, it was announced that the Authority had resigned the School's certificate of operation.

The premises were subsequently occupied by St Columba's Roman Catholic School. The building no longer exists.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.


  • None noted at present.
  • None noted at present.