Glasgow Burgh Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Glasgow Burgh Council.
- Girls' Training Home, Clyde Cottage, King Street, Dunoon
- Dunclutha Home, 113 Marine Parade, Kirn
- Blairvadach and Eda Yarrow, Main Road, Rhu
- Kerelaw Residential School, Kerelaw Road, Stevenston
- Downcraig, 1 Downcraig Terrace, Castlemilk, Glasgow
- Lochaber, 10 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Green Street Day Industrial School, 107 Green Street, Calton, Glasgow
- Corrybeg, 107 Sr Andrew's Drive, Glasgow
- Glasgow School Board Truant Industrial School / Springboig St John's School, 1190 Edinburgh Road, Springboig, Shettleston, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Eversley Reception Home, 12 Aytoun Road, Glasgow
- Creagdhu Children's Home, 12 Newark Drive, Pollokshields, Glasgow
- William Street Day Industrial School, 12 William Street, Anderston, Glasgow
- Larchgrove Assessment Centre, 1212 Edinburgh Road, Glasgow
- Cruachan, 19 Sherbrooke Avenue, Glasgow
- Govan Street Day Industrial School, 201 Govan Street (now Ballater Street), Glasgow
- Ganavan, 22 Sutherland Avenue, Glasgow
- Cranstonhill Day Industrial School, 24 Hydepark Street, Cranstonhill, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Cleveden Reception Home, 40 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Lochgarry, 40 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Auldhouse Boys' Home, 40 Thornliebank Road, Pollokshaws, Glasgow
- Beechwood Assessment Centre, 451 Tollcross Road, Glasgow
- Rose Street Day Industrial School, 57 Rose Street, Hutcheson Town, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Eglinton Cleveden Reception Home, 6 Cleveden Gardens, Glasgow
- Rotten Row Day Industrial School, 61 Rotten Row, Glasgow
- Hopehill Road Day Industrial School, 62 Hopehill Road, Glasgow
- Haggbows, 72 (now 100) Hamilton Avenue, Glasgow
- 86-88 Arnprior Road, Castlemilk, Glasgow
- Park Lodge Children's Home, Calderwood Road, Newlands, Glasgow
- Scotstoun House Children's Home, Dumbarton Road, Scotstoun, Glasgow
- Castlemilk Home, Machrie Drive, Glasgow
- Ardoch Hostel, Glasgow
- Castlemilk House, Mill Road, Carmunncok, Rutherglen
- Gryffe Castle, Kilmacolm Road, Bridge of Weir
- Balrossie School, Blacksholm Road, Kilmacolm
- Nether Kirkton Girls' Hostel / Children's Home, Nether Kirkton House, Neilston Road, Neilston
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Glasgow Council homes may exist at:
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.