Glasgow Burgh Council Homes
Composite list of children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by Glasgow Burgh Council.
- Glasgow Council Girls' Training Home, Clyde Cottage, King Street, Dunoon*
- Glasgow Council Dunclutha Home for Physically Defective Young Persons, James Street / 113 Marine Parade, Kirn*
- Glagow Council Home, Blairvadach and Eda Yarrow, Main Road, Rhu
- Glasgow Council Reception Home, Cleveden , 40 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Downcraig, 1 Downcraig Terrace, Castlemilk, Glasgow
- Green Street Day Industrial School, 107 Green Street, Calton, Glasgow
- Glasgow School Board Truant Industrial School / Springboig St John's School, 1190 Edinburgh Road, Springboig, Shettleston, Glasgow
- Creagdhu Children's Home, 12 Newark Drive, Pollokshields, Glasgow
- William Street Day Industrial School, 12 William Street, Anderston, Glasgow
- Larchgrove Assessment Centre, 1212 Edinburgh Road, Glasgow
- Govan Street Day Industrial School, 201 Govan Street (now Ballater Street), Glasgow
- Cranstonhill Day Industrial School, 24 Hydepark Street, Cranstonhill, Glasgow
- Beechwood Assessment Centre, 451 Tollcross Road, Glasgow
- Rose Street Day Industrial School, 57 Rose Street, Hutcheson Town, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Eglinton Cleveden Reception Home, 6 Cleveden Gardens, Glasgow
- Rotten Row Day Industrial School, 61 Rotten Row, Glasgow
- Hopehill Road Day Industrial School, 62 Hopehill Road, Glasgow
- Haggbows, 72 (now 100) Hamilton Avenue, Glasgow
- 86-88 Arnprior Road, Castlemilk, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Boys' Home, Auldhouse, 40 Thornliebank Road, Pollokshaws, Glasgow
- Park Lodge Children's Home, Calderwood Road, Newlands, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Home, Corrybeg, 107 Sr Andrew's Drive, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Home, Cruachan, 19 Sherbrooke Avenue, Glasgow
- Scotstoun House Children's Home, Dumbarton Road, Scotstoun, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Reception Home, Eversley, 12 Aytoun Road, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Home, Ganavan, 22 Sutherland Avenue, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Home, Lochaber, 10 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Glasgow Council Home, Lochgarry, 40 Cleveden Drive, Glasgow
- Castlemilk Home, Machrie Drive, Glasgow
- Ardoch Hostel, Glasgow
- Castlemilk House, Mill Road, Carmunncok, Rutherglen
- Glasgow Council Home, Gryffe Castle, Kilmacolm Road, Bridge of Weir
- Balrossie School, Blacksholm Road, Kilmacolm
- Nether Kirkton Girls' Hostel / Children's Home, Nether Kirkton House, Neilston Road, Neilston
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Glasgow Council homes may exist at:
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.