Rose Street Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
The Rose Street Day Industrial School at Hutchesontown, south Glasgow, was the third such institution to be established in the city and the first to have purpose-built premises. The School was formally certified for operation on 6 May 1889, with accommodation for up to 250 children, aged from 5 to 14 years. It opened for the reception of children on 13 May and in its first few weeks had fewer than two dozen children in attendance. As was usually the case, boys and girls were taught separately and had their own playgrounds, the one for the boys being the larger of the two. The staff initially comprised: the superintendent, Miss MacFadyen; schoolmistress, Miss Dempster; a cook and a janitor.
An inspection in 1890 found 151 children on the roll, with 139 present. Two more teachers had now been added to the staff. Industrial training for the boys largely consisted of paper-bag making although a printing class was started the following year. The girls were taught to sew and knit, and assisted in the kitchen and with the housework.
In 1896, the inspector noted that the four-floor building had only one staircase, stood flush with the pavement, and was difficult to keep clean. It did, however, have good part-covered play-yards and two good playrooms. Half-holidays were given throughout July and on Scottish holidays. An excursion for the day took place in the summer and 50 children benefitted from a Fresh Air Fortnight, arranged by the Evangelistic Association. A mark system was now in operation, providing rewards for good conduct. Prizes of hooks and articles of clothing were given at Christmas time. A system was introduced for improving the attendance amongst the more troublesome children. Thirteen of the boys and two the girls were each supplied with a small book. When they were punctual, a page was stamped with the school frank; six consecutive pages with 6 stamps entitled the holder to a small reward. In November 1896, Miss MacFadyen died after a period of declining health. Miss Lydia Comrie, who had stood in as acting superintendent, was appointed as MacFadyen's successor.
Miss Comrie was still in post in 1911. The other staff at that date comprised four teachers, cook and janitor. Attending on a periodic basis were a cookery and laundry instructress, singing master and drill instructor. Classroom subjects included singing, composition, recitation, mental arithmetic, geography, history and object lessons. The boys learned technical drawing and received 'manual instruction' (woodwork), with paper-bag making still employed. The girls learned knitting, needlework, machining, blouse and dressmaking. Cooking and laundry work were taught by visiting teachers.
In 1925, control of the establishment was passed to the Glasgow City Education Authority. On 30 September 1927, it was announced that the Authority had resigned the School's certificate of operation.
Rose Street was later renamed Florence Street and the building was occupied by St Luke's School and then, in part, by the Ballater Occupational Centre. The property no longer exists and the site is now covered by modern housing.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.