St Teresa's, Knaresborough, West Riding of Yorkshire
St Teresa's (or Theresa's) Home, at Thistle Hill, Calcutt, Knaresborough, was established in 1953 by the Catholic Diocese of Leeds Rescue and Protection Society (now known as Catholic Care). Its opening was part of the closure programme for the St Mary's Orphanage in Leeds, a move brought about by the 1948 Children which required that residential care for children should be in small family-group accommodation rather than large institutions such as St Mary's. Accordingly, plans began to be made for the winding down of St Mary's and the provision of smaller homes in more rural surroundings.
St Teresa's occupied a property previously known as Queensmead, run by the Royal British Legion as as a convalescent home for 'distressed' women from poor areas. In its new role, it housed up to 15 children aged from 3 to 16 years. The home was run by the Sisters of Mary Immaculate.
The Home closed on September 1st, 1975. It was replaced by the Redholt home in Bradford, which opened on the same date.
The Knaresborough property has since had a variety of uses but is now a private residence known as Delaneys.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Catholic Care (Diocese of Leeds), 11 North Grange Road Headingley, Leeds LS6 2BR.
- Leeds Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, Hinsley Hall, 62 Headingley Lane, Leeds LS6 2BX. Has Diocesan Rescue and Protection Society Annual Reports (1912 onwards).
- Finnigan, Robert et al, 150th Anniversary History 1863-2013 Catholic Care, Diocese of Leeds (2013, Catholic Care)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.