Furniture Trades Provident and Benevolent Association Orphan Homes, Radlett, Hertfordshire
The Furniture Trades Provident and Benevolent Association (later renamed the Furnishing Trades Benevolent Association) was formed in 1903. One of its first actions was to establish a home to 'maintain and educate the orphan and necessitous children' of its members. Hugely ambitious plans were drawn up by the architect K Frank Atkinson for an eventual 'colony' homes on a siteat Cobden Hill, Radlett, Hertfordshire.
The initial stage of the scheme comprised two pairs of semi-detached houses and could accommodate a total of 48 children. The establishment was formally opened on July 22nd, 1905, by the Association's President, Mr S.J. Waring.
In 1921, the home relocated to Highgate in north London.
The Radlett premises are now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.