Bruce Porter Hospital Home, Folkestone, Kent

In 1920, Barnardo's took over a former convalescent home at 9 to 11 Wear Bay Crescent, Folkestone, and re-opened it as opened the Bruce Porter Hospital Home. The establishment, which provided treatment for diseases of the joints and bones, could accommodate up to 50 children up to the age of fifteen.

The location of the home is shown on the 1956 map below.

Bruce Porter Hospital Home site, Folkestone, c.1956.

During the Second World War, the home was evacuated first, in October 1939, to Dane Court in Dorset, then again, in September 1943 to Hollins Hall in West Yorkshire. After returning to its Folkestone premises, the Bruce Porter re-opened as a children's convalescent home in November, 1947.

On its closure in July 1966, the home's staff and children were moved to the Princess Margaret Home at Taunton in Somerset.

The Folkestone building has been demolished and a block of flats now occupies the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)