Girls' Industrial School, Slough, Buckinghamshire
On November 17th, 1886, the Girls' Industrial School formerly at Boyn Hill, Maidenhead was re-certified to operate in premises at Langley Furze, Uxbridge Road, Slough. As before, the School dealt exclusively with the special class of girls provided by the Industrial Schools Amendment Act of 1880, namely those under 14 found to be living in a brothel, or living with or associating with common or reputed prostitutes.
At its new location, the School was superintended by Miss Dawe, with the previous schoolmistress Miss MacDonald having moved with the girls from Maidenhead. By 1888, however, Miss Manby had taken over as superintendent, with Miss Twigg as schoolmistress.
As before, the girls all learned sewing and knitting, with the older ones assisting in the kitchen and laundry, and in the general work of the house. A laundress came in twice a week and a gardener was also employed.
In 1889, the School moved to a more convenient location at St Paul's Lodge, Bedford Park Road, Balham.
The Langley Furze premises are now occupied by the Pinewood Hotel.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.