Margaret Convalescent Home, Bognor Regis, Sussex
The Margaret Convalescent Home was opened by Barnardo's in 1932 on Lower Bognor Road at Aldwick, Bognor Regis. It was donated to the charity by Mrs Margaret Rank, a relative of the flour-milling and film magnate, J Arthur Rank. The property, an old farmhouse, was used to accommodate boys aged from 6 to 14.
From 1948, the home — which became known as Margaret House (or occasionally as St Margaret) — became a long-term boys' home.
After its closure in March 1977, the property was taken over by the local authority. The building no longer exists but its name is commemorated by the residential modern road, Margaret Close, which now covers the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. File BN62/1302 — inspection reports (1954-65). [Access closed for 75 years]
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.