Archibald G. Brown's Orphan Home, Bow, London
A home for orphan boys was opened in 1880 at 2 Harley Street (now Harley Grove), Bow, and by 1890 also occupied the neighbouring property at 1 Harley Street. It was founded by Archibald Geikie Brown, a pastor at the East London Tabernacle. The home took boys aged between 5 and 10 years, with no payment required. Each case was admitted on its own merits. In 1890, the home had 22 inmates.
By 1900, the Home was admitting boys as well as girls, as indicated by the advertisement below, promoting the work of the Homes and of the East London Tabernacle.
The Home had closed by 1911 and the property was then sold. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Murray, Iain H. Archibald G Brown: Spurgeon's Successor (2011, The Banner of Truth Trust)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.