Children's Garden Village, Cheadle, Cheshire
In 1920, the Manchester and Salford Boys' and Girls' Refuges established its Children's Garden Village on the 22-acre Belmont estate at Cheadle, Cheshire.
The estate's original residence, Belmont House, became a home for girls.
In 1923, a new pair of houses named Crossley-Gaddum was erected in 1923, followed by another pair named Hayes-Shaw in 1925.
Communal facilities at the site included the William Stevenson recreation hall. A medical facility, named the Milne-Perrins Sanatorium, was funded by the Milne family, the former owners of the Belmont estate.
The layout of the Belmont site is shown on the 1934 map below.
By 1930, the estate provided accommodate for up to 120 children, aged from 2 to 12 years.
In 1958, the Refuges' Bethesda Home moved out from Manchester to make use of the growing amount of vacant space at the Belmont site. Belmont House was disposed of in 1983 owing to the financial difficulties of the charity, now known as the Together Trust. The Trust retained the remainder of the site which now houses its headquarters offices. The former Crossley-Gaddum and Hayes-Shaw houses are now occupied by the Trust's Inscape House School — a non-maintained day special school for children and young people aged 4 to 19 years with autism spectrum conditions and related social communication difficulties.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Former residents of the Together Trust — formerly known as the Manchester and Salford Boys' and Girls' Refuges and Homes (1870-1959) then the Boys' and Girls' Welfare Society (1960-2005) — may access their records, as can relatives of deceased former residents. For details on how to do this, visit the charity's Access to Information web page.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.