Convalescent Children's Home, Christchurch, Dorset
In 1950, a Convalescent Children's Home was opened by J.H. Leonard Lloyd at Highcliffe Castle, Christchurch. Lloyd had recently opened a similar home at Lynton, North Devon.
The following year, allegations of the indecent assault of children led to a subsequent court case. Although the charges were dismissed, both homes closed.
Following fires in the late 1960s, the building stood derelict until 1977 when the property was purchased by Christchurch Borough Council. Following considerable renovation and refurbishment, the Castle is now a popular tourist attraction, community space and wedding venue.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
- Thanks to Jackie Depelle for the advertisement.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.