Ancestry UK

St Faith's Home for Deaf and Dumb Girls, Clapham, London

St Faith's Home for Deaf and Dumb Girls was established in 1905 at 35 Cedars Road, Clapham, London SW4. The superintendent was Miss Lougee. A report of a meeting of the home's management committee in November of that year recorded:

Thee Chairman said the home was for deaf and dumb girls who had left school, and who were seeking means of livelihood. Work either given them in the institution was found outside. The prominent idea was to give the girls a real home, and precisely such institution, thought, was not to found England. Of the two classes deaf girls — oralists and spellers — they preferred to take oralists. The lady superintendent had had wide and varied experience and they were very fortunate in having secured her services. As regarded finance, they had started with a munificent gift, which had been supplemented several ladies who had come forward with subscriptions and donations. Accommodation was provided for some twenty to twenty-four girls, though, as yet, there were only six inmates. Education, religious instruction, and recreation were included in the scheme. With regard to the system of payment the speaker explained that anybody who recommended girl was asked to give 7s. week until she could earn that amount for herself. Whatever she earned above that sum went into her own pocket. Dr. Elliott, head master of the Royal Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb, Margate, spoke of the patience needed in the education of the deaf and dumb. This newly-established home was an institution which really very necessary for girls immediately after leaving school. Deaf children were generally simple-minded. and therefore more easily fell into the snares and pitfalls which beset young people.

In the 1920s, the home was relocated (or renumbered) to 5 Cedars Road, and by 1936 to 8 Cedars Road. The home finally closed in 1958

It should be noted that of "St Faith's Homes" operated at around the same period as the one on Cedars Road: 2 Myddleton Square, London EC1, was a mother and baby home from about 1935 to 1960, and 202 West Hill, Putney, accommodated the elderly deaf and dumb from around 1960.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • None identfied at present — any information welcome.