Children's Home, Edmonton Green, Middlesex
The Children's Home was established in 1864 'to befriend orphan children.' In 1890, the Home occupied premises at Edmonton Green, Middlesex, where 40 children could be accommodated — boys up to the age of six, and girls of any age. A payment of 4s. a week was requested, with applicants required to supply baptismal and medical certificates. The girls were trained for domestic service, and the boys sent to boys' homes, where they are taught a trade. The Sister-in-Charge at this date was Elizabeth A. Jones.
By 1901, the home had moved to new premises at Woodlands Villa, The Woodlands, Isleworth, and was being run by Wilhelmina Higgin. Only girls were now received, with the object of the Home stated as being 'to educate for domestic service, girls who have lost one or both parents.' A payment of £13 a year was requested.
The Home was still operating in around 1907.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.