Nore Royal Naval and Royal Marine Orphanage, Gillingham, Kent
The Nore Royal Naval and Royal Marine Orphanage originally occupied temporary premises in Chatham. A new building, on Oxford Road, Gillingham, was opened on 18 September 1912 by Lady Poore, wife of Admiral Sir Richard Poore, Commander-in-chief at the Nore. (The Nore, an operational division of the Royal Navy, was named after a sandbank at the mouth of the Thames Estuary and River Medway.) The cost of the building was about £4,000. It initially provided accommodation for 50 girls, with another wing to be added when funds permitted.
The picture below, taken from the far side of Gillingham Park, shows the centre and original wing of the building.
The establishment later became a residential home for ex-naval personnel and their widows, known as Pembroke House.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.