Bridgeton Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
The Bridgeton Day Industrial School was established in 1916 and was the last of the eight such institutions to be opened in Glasgow. Its premises at 96 Main Street, Bridgeton, had previously been used as a day school known as Bridgeton Special School for Physically and Mentally Defective Children. The new establishment was formally certified for operation on 20 December 1916, with accommodation for up to 160 children aged from 5 to 14 years.
On 26 January 1925 it was announced that the School had resigned its certificate.
The premises were later occupied by John Street Nursery and John Street Secondary School. The building was demolished in 1968.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.