Cranstonhill Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
The Cranstonhill (or Cranston Hill) Day Industrial School was established in 1910 and was the seventh of the eventual eight such establishments to be opened in Glasgow. Its premises, at Hydepark Street, Cranstonhill, were formally certified for operation on 21 February 1911, with accommodation for up to 180 children, aged from 5 to 14 years. The staff initially comprised: the superintendent, Miss G. Hislop; three teachers, janitor, cook and general assistant.
An inspection report in 1911 recorded 32 boys and 68 girls in the school, including a total of 18 voluntary cases. Classroom subjects included singing, composition, recitation, mental arithmetic, geography, history and object lessons. The boys learned technical drawing and the older ones received 'manual instruction' (woodwork). The girls were taught needlework and knitting, and a sewing machine had been procured. Instruction in cookery and laundry work was yet to commence but in the meantime the girls were assisting the School's cook and laundress. Free gymnastics were given by class teachers under the general supervision of a visiting drill instructor. A Hallowe'en party had been enjoyed by the children.
In 1925, control of the School was passed to the Glasgow City Education Authority. On 30 August 1929, it was announced that the Authority had resigned the School's certificate of operation.
The School building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.