Great Yarmouth Day Industrial School, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
In 1879, the Great Yarmouth School Board opened a Day Industrial School for Boys at South Town Road, South Town, Great Yarmouth. The School was located on an old farm which was adapted for the purpose with the provision of a school room and work room. The establishment was certified on May 17th, 1879, with accommodation for up to 60 boys, aged 10 to 13 years. It began operation a few weeks later on June 9th. The master and matron were Mr and Mrs Edwin Horth.
As well as their classroom lessons, the boys spent part of each day engaged in industrial occupations. These primarily consisted of wood-chopping and net-making, both of which generated a certain amount of revenue for the School.
In 1881, Mr and Mrs S. Edwards took over as superintendent and matron. The following year's inspection report was not complimentary: 'The school makes no real progress, and with respect to its very existence or utility there seemed to be some difference of opinion on the part of the members of the Board. Under such circumstances the school fails to carry out thoroughly the objects for which it was established.'
Perhaps in an effort to improve matters, the Edwards moved on and Mrs Lamplugh was appointed superintendent. By 1884, Mr and Mrs Hancock had been appointed as superintendent and matron, with Mr and Mrs John Goode succeeding them in 1885. Ship-fender making had now joined the list of industrial occupations with good and saleable articles being produced. exhibited. A few of the boys were employed in the garden at certain seasons. They also did most of the work of the house, and helped in the kitchen.
in June, 1890, Mr W. Goode succeeded his brother Mr John Goode as superintendent. The latter had gone to the island of Trinidad to superintend an industrial school there, accompanied by his sister accompanied him. Mrs John Goode continued as matron.
A report in 1896 listed the staff as: Mr W.F. Goode, superintendent and headmaster; Mrs E. Goode, matron; Mr S.L. Goode, assistant schoolmaster; Miss Goode, assistant matron. Mr Donovan, labour master; Mr Everitt, carpenter, twice a week. In the classroom, singing (sol-fa), was very fair; geography all through, very fair; mental arithmetic, good in lower standards, fair in IV. and V; recitation, good, with occasional lapses. Word-building had been introduced, a series of object lessons given, for which there was a good museum. Composition in standard IV. and V. was good. The boys made cork fenders, rough mats, and did a little rope splicing and knotting. A class of carpenters, eight in number, was held twice a week, and nine boys received instruction in cooking, to fit them for service in smacks. Also with a view to helping boys going to sea, signalling with flags had been introduced. Drill and recreation took place in the small playground and also played on the nearby dunes.
Due to a decline in the number of pupils, the School closed in December 1898. All the remaining boys were discharged apart from two incorrigible truants who were committed to the Buxton Industrial School.
The former School buildings no longer survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.