St Saviour's Orphanage / St Bridget's Home for Girls, Hitchin, Hertfordshire
St Saviour's Orphanage was established in 1872 in connection with the church and parish of St Saviour, Hitchin. Its object was 'to train as servants, poor girls whose fathers are dead, or cannot be found.'
In June, 1873, the Bishop of St Albans performed the official opening of the Orphanage's purpose-built premises on Radcliffe Road, Hitchin, although the building only became ready to receive its first inmates a few weeks later.
The building could initially accommodate up to fourteen girls, later increased to twenty-two. Those entering the home were normally below the age of 10 at their date of admission. A payment of 5s. a week was required for each girl, although this could be varied according to circumstances. The inmates of the home were under the care of one of the sisters from St Margaret's Home, East Grinstead.
In around 1933, the running of the home was taken over by the Holy Family Homes and renamed St Bridget's Home for Girls. It continued in operation until the mid-1950s.
The property is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Sisters of St Margaret Doing the Impossible: A Short History ical Sketch of St Margaret's Convent, East Grinstead, 1855-1980 (1984, Privately printed)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.