Westaway Crèche, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Isles
The Westaway Crèche was established in 1934 at Saville Street, St Helier, Jersey. It resulted from a benefactor, whose bequest specified that it was for a "crèche and day nursery for babies so that widows could go out to work." By 1941, however, it was regularly being used to accommodate orphans and abandoned babies, while they awaiting placement with a family or, having reached school age, they were moved to the States' Boys' Home or Girls' Home.
During the German occupation of the Island during the Second World War, records indicate that Westaway continued in operation.
In 1957, two rooms the premises became the Junior Training Centre — a non-residential facility for what were referred to as "severely subnormal" children. This closed in around 1967 following the opening of purpose-built premises at Mont-à-l'Abbé School.
In 1966, the crèche moved to a newly constructed wing at the Boys' Home, Haut de la Garenne. The residential provision at Saville Street was then closed and the building operated as a day nursery. It was later demolished to make way for social services staff accommodation.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.