LCC Auxiliary Home, London
From May 15th, 1917, the premises at 442 Romford Road, Forest Gate, London E7 were formally certified for use by London County Council as an Auxiliary Home in connection with its various Industrial Schools. The property could accommodate up to 4 individuals, who were making the transition between institutional care and independent working life.
Within a few weeks, however, the Home was relocated to 'Collingwood' at 200 The Portway, West Ham, which was certified for operation from June 26th, 1917, again with up to 4 places.
The Home's certificate was terminated on April 8th, 1919, at which date there were four boys in residence.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.