Father Berry's Home, Moreton, Wirral, Cheshire
Father Berry's Home, at the corner of Leasowe Road and Pasture Road, was one of a number operated by a charity known as Father Berry's Homes for Catholic Friendless Children (later the Liverpool Catholic Children's Protection Society). Opened in about 1900, it occupied a house known as Castle Blake, at the corner of Leasowe Road and Pasture Road. The home was used as a holiday home for children from the organisation's other estbalishments in Liverpool.
The home closed in 1920, when its lease expired. and was replaced by Seabank House, Formby.
In more recent times, the property was occupied by a cafe popular with holiday makers. The building still survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Nugent Care, 99 Edge Lane, Liverpool L7 2PE.
- Liverpool Archives, 3rd Floor, Central Library, William Brown Street, L3 8EW. Now holds the Society's "historical" records and also those of the Catholic Emigration Association which emigrated children from the Society's establishments.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.