Leicester Frith Mental Deficiency Institution, Leicester, Leicestershire
The Leicester Frith Mental Deficiency Institution, a home for 'Mental Defectives', was established in 1923 at Leicester Frith, Groby Road, Leicester.
The property, originally known as the Mansion House, was built as a private residence in 1870. It was taken over during the First World War as a home for patients suffering from 'neurasthenia' — what might now be referred to as 'nervous exhaustion'. In 1920, Leicester Borough Council purchased the property from the Ministry of Pensions for use as a home for the mentally defective. The Leicester Frith institution opened on 30 August, 1923. It initially accommodates 30 boys, 30 girls and 60 women. The site expanded with the construction of villas, each for 60 patients. By the mid-1930s, there was accommodation at the establishment for 183 females aged from 5 to 25 years.
Following the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948, Leicester Frith became part of the Glenfrith Hospital group. The original Mansion House now houses local health trust offices.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, Long Street, Wigston Magna, Leicester, LE18 2AH.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.