Toxteth Park Girls' Industrial School / Training House, Liverpool, Lancashire
The Toxteth Park Girls' Industrial School was founded in 1851 'to receive girls of the poorer classes, and orphans, and train them for domestic service.' Despite its name, the establishment never became a Certified Industrial School, taking children placed in detention by the courts.
The School subsequently occupied premises at 24 (later renumbered as 124) Dingle Lane, Toxteth Park, where 50 girls could be accommodated. In 1907, Liverpool cases paid between 1s. and 5s. a week; those from outside the city paid 5s. Originally, girls were admitted between the ages of 10 and 13 years, although this later became from 8 to 12. Girls remained until the age of 16 and were not allowed to leave until fitted for domestic service.
By 1913, the establishment had changed its name to the Toxteth Park Domestic Training House, later amended slightly as Training Home.
The Home is believed to have continued in operation until the late 1950s. The premises were later occupied by the Merseyside Social Club for the Blind. The building no longer exists and a children's centre now stands on the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.