Ancestry UK

St Cyprian's / St Hilda's Home, Marylebone, London

The St Cyprian's Orphanage for Girls is thought to have been founded in the 1870s at Allsop (or Allsopp) Mews, Marylebone, by the Misses Maingay of 39 Dorset Square. It was one of several homes in the area set up under the St Cyprian's name, along with establishments for orphan boys, the aged, the incurable, and the 'fallen'. In 1891, the matron of the home was Miss Sarah Lloyd assisted by Isabella Hosket. There were 17 girls in residence, aged from 14 to 19. The girls were trained in kitchen work, housework and laundry work to prepare them for domestic service.

In the 1880s, the home became affiliated with the Waifs and Strays Society. By 1894, the home had became known as St Hilda's. The following year, the Maingay sisters donated the home to the Society along with £2,645 in government bonds. The exact location of the property involved is a little unclear as its address at around this date is sometimes given as New Street, where the nearby St Cyprian's Boys' home was located.

In 1896, the home was transferred to new premises at 194 Marylebone Road, Marylebone. A formal opening ceremony of November 24th was conducted by the Bishop of Marylebone. The new location provided accommodation for 32 girls, aged from 6 to 15.

St Hilda's was closed in 1905 and the girls were transferred to a new home at Beckenham.

A few months afterwards, the building was re-opened as the Marylebone Receiving Home and Training Home.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.