Holy Rood Orphanage, North Ormesby, Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire
The Holy Rood Orphanage was established in 1867 'to train girls who are orphans, destitute, or have bad homes, for service.' It was run by the members of the Sisterhood of the Holy Rood, an Anglican order then based in North Ormesby, Middlesbrough.
The establishment occupied premises at Worsley House, Westbourne Grove, North Ormesby, and could accommodate up to 40 girls, who were aged 3 to 10 years at their date of admission. A payment was required when possible. Girls stayed until they were 16 or 18.
In the 1920s, the Orphanage moved to a site on Marton Road, in the Grove Hill area of Middlesbrough, with a convent for the Sisterhood alongside. The Orphanage had closed by the early 1950s and the building demolished. The whole site is now covered by modern housing. The Westbourne Grove building has also been demolished.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Try Lambeth Palace libraray, London, SE1 7JU.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.