Home of the Holy Child / Sycamore House Home for Boys, Moseley, Staffordshire

The Home of the Holy Child (also known for a time as St Anne's Home) was founded in the 1870s by Emma Charlotte Simcox, a Sister of the Roman Catholic order of the Guild of St Alban the Martyr. The home was based at 36-37 Highgate Street, Moseley, where up to a dozen boys were housed, aged from 4 to 11 years.

In 1904, the establishment was handed over to the Waifs and Strays Society who renamed it the Sycamore Home.

By 1907, the building was considered to be no longer suitable and a move was made to new premises at 13 Park Road, Moseley. The new home was dedicated by the Archdeacon of Birmingham February 12th, just a few days after Miss Simcox had died. A brass tablet in her memory was placed in the hall of the home.

Sycamore House Home for Boys, Moseley, c.1907. © Peter Higginbotham

Sycamore House Home for Boys, Moseley, c.1929. © Peter Higginbotham

During the Second World War, the boys were evacuated to The Butts at Matlock, but returned after hostilities ceased. In 1949, Sycamore House became a mixed home.

The home closed in 1967. The property is now a private residence.

Former Sycamore House Home for Boys, Moseley, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography