Newcastle Diocesan Lodge, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
The Newcastle Diocesan Lodge for the Protection of Women and Girls was established in 1904 by the Newcastle Diocesan Association for Preventive and Rescue Work, a group founded by Colonel Coulson and Mr Pumphrey. The Association also ran the Newcastle Diocesan Refuge. In its early years, the Lodge occupied premises at 23 Ridley Place, Newcastle upon Tyne. The Lodge accommodated up to 8 'respectable, friendless' girls, aged 14-16 at their date of admission. A payment of 6s. a week was requested for each girl, if possible.
In 1914, the home moved to better premises 18 St Thomas's Crescent, Newcastle. It was still in operation in 1935 but is though to have closed not long afterwards.
The St Thomas's Crescent premises are now in private use. The Ridley Place property is now occupied by an estate agents.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.