Hôpital de la Trinité, Paris, Seine, , France
The Hôpital de la Trinité was founded in 1202 by two German men, Wilhem Effacuol and Jean De La Paslée (or Jean Palée) at the corner of what became 28 Rue Greneta and 142-164 Rue Saint Denis. Its original intent was to assist the poor and to provide hospitality for pilgrims during their stay in Paris.
From 1545, following a change of ownership, the building was used to receive orphaned children. It became known as the Hospice of the Blue Children, beacuse its inmates &mdashh; 100 boys and 36 girls — were dressed in blue clothing. The children were educated and taught a trade.
The establishment ceased operation at the start of the French Revolution in 1789 and the buildings were sold off in 1812.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Dinan, Susan E. Women and Poor Relief in Seventeenth-Century France: The Early History of the Daughters of Charity (2017, Routledge)
- Fuchs, Rachel Abandoned Children: Foundlings and Child Welfare in Nineteenth-Century France (1984, State University of New York)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.