Teachers' Orphanage, Peckham, London
In 1878, the National Union of Elementary Teachers established an Orphanage and Orphan Fund to 'erect, partially endow, and maintain an orphanage for the necessitous children of teachers, the term necessitous applying to a child whose father is permanently incapacitated.'
Two orphanages were initially set up through the fund — one for boys, at Peckham, and the other, for girls, at Sheffield.
The Peckham orphanage, at 105 Peckham Rye, was officially opened on November 4th 1884 by Baroness Burdett-Coutts. The property could accommodate up to 40 boys. At the date of the opening, fifteen boys aged between 7 and 12 years were already in residence. Admission to the home was by a twice-yearly ballot of subscribers to the fund.
Within a few years, the Peckham home was proving inadequate and in 1899 it moved to new premises at Westwood House, Sydenham.
The Peckham premises no longer exist.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.