Seamen's Orphanage for Boys, Southampton, Hampshire
The Seamen's Orphanage for Boys was opened in September, 1895, in a house at the southern end of Hill Lane.
The institution later moved to a property known as Tre Mona on Chilworth Road (now Tremona Road), Shirley.
The orphanage is believed to have closed in the late 1940s and its then inmates transferred to other establishments including the Royal Merchant School near Wokingham in Berkshire.
The premises, then known as Tremona Court, were subsequently occupied by the Southampton School of Nursing. The building has now been demolished.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.