St Agnes' Home for Girls, St Helens, Lancashire
St Agnes' Home for Girls was founded in 1914 in a property known as Nutgrove Hall, at Thatto Heath, St Helens. It provided 5 places for 'fallen' girls and also a crèche for babies. In 1920, the superintendent was Miss K.M. Jubb.
By 1930, the Home housed up to 13 'difficult girls, and those from bad surroundings'. A weekly charge of 15s. was made for inmates from outside the diocese.
In 1936, St Agnes' was operating as a Probation Home for up to 14 girls. The superintendent at that date was Miss Bathe.
On July 2nd, 1937, the Home was certified for use as an Approved School for Girls. The establishment then housed 13 girls who were given domestic training. On 30th September, 1951, it was announced that the managers of the School intended to resign its Certificate of Approval.
The property later became a nursing home but is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Bartley, Paula Prostitution: Prevention and Reform in England, 1860-1914 (2000, Routledge)
- Finnegan, Frances Poverty and Prostitution: A Study of Victorian Prostitutes in York (1979, CUP)
- Hopkins, Jane Ellice, Work Among the Lost (1870, William Macintosh)
- Nokes, Harriet Twenty-Three Years in a House of Mercy (1886, Rivingtons)
- Taylor, William J The Story of the Homes (1907, London Female Preventive and Reformatory Institution)
- Thomas, E W Twenty-Five Years' Labour Among the Friendless and Fallen (1897, Shaw)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Hyland,Jim Yesterday's Answers: Yesterday's Answers: Development and Decline of Schools for Young Offenders (1993, Whiting and Birch)
- Millham, S, Bullock, R, and Cherrett, P After Grace — Teeth: a comparative study of the residential experience of boys in Approved Schools (1975, Chaucer Publishing)
- The Therapeutic Care Journal — has a number of articles relating to Approved Schools.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.