Industrial Training School / Home for Girls, Hertford, Hertfordshire
A School for the Industrial Training of Poor Girls was opened in 1863 at Stapleford, near Hertford. On 23 May of that years, the establishment was licensed as a Certified School, allowing it to receive up to twelve girls boarded out by the workhouse authorities. The School's certificate was cancelled on 10 May 1895.
On 12 February 1900, a certificate was issued for what was now referred to as the Home for Girls, in new premises at Stapleford.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.