Children's Free Lodging House, Dock Street, Whitechapel, London
In 1888, Barnardo's opened a children's free lodging house at 12 Dock Street, Whitechapel. According to one 1895 directory, it was then only used for girls.
The home appears to have closed in the early 1900s, with its operation transferred to the nearby Commercial Street home.
In recent times, the premises have been occupied by an estate agent's offices.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.