Sailors' Children's Society, Whitley Bay, Northumberland
The Port of Hull Society was founded in 1821, and in 1837 opened its Sailors' Orphan Institute in Hull, the first of several children's homes in the city for the orphaned or otherwise necessitous children of mariners.
The charity, renamed the Sailors' Children's Society in 1950, subsequently operated some small homes in other towns on the north-east coast. One of these was at 18 Roxburgh Terrace, Whitley Bay. It appears to have opened in the mid-1960s but closed by 1970.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Hull History Centre, Worship Street, Hull HU2 8BG. Has the charity's archives but not known if any material relates to the Whitley Bay home.
- Mitchell, Charles The Long Watch: A History of The Sailors' Children's Society, 1821-1961. (1961, Sailors' Children's Society)
- The Sailors' Children's Society
- Yorkshire Film Archive holds a number of vintage films showing the work of the Society.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.