St Winifred's Home for Girls, Whitmore Reans, near Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
The St Winifred's Home for Girls was established by the Church Penitentiary Association in 1911 as a Special Industrial School. It accommodated girls, from 12 to 14 years of age, 'whose antecedents render them undesirable for admission to ordinary Industrial Schools' — those who had been the victims of sexual assault or abuse. The School occupied a property known as Whitmore Hall, Evans Street, Whitmore Reans, near Wolverhampton. The premises were formally certified on January 9th, 1911, with accommodation for 30 girls, and began practical operation on February 15th. Its official capacity was increased to 35 places on October 1st, 1911, and then to 45 places on February 22nd, 1912.
The staff comprised the superintendent, Sister Maud, and three other Sisters of the Anglican Horbury Order of St Peter, together with Miss Margaret Parsons, schoolmistress; Miss J. Du'Cann and Sister Caroline, assistant schoolmistresses; and a visiting teacher for drill. As well as classroom lessons, the girls were taught needlework, with the older ones helping in the kitchen and laundry.
The establishment resigned its Industrial School certificate as of March 27th, 1928, and the property was sold off. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.