Waisenhaus, Zurich, Switzerland
The Zurich Waisenhaus (Orphanage) was in operation by 1637 and occupied the northern part of the Oetenbach nunnery site on what is now the Bahnhofquai. In 1771, the children moved into a new building, in what had been the nunnery's garden. At the same time, the north and west wings of the existing building premises were rebuilt as a penitentiary and prison.
All the old convent buildings apart from the orphanage were demolished in 1902-3 and the site was subsequently converted for use as an administrative centre and police station.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.