Elim Home for Destitute Boys and Girls, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
The Elim Home for Destitute Boys and Girls was established in around 1883 by David Henderson who had also previously founded its predecessor, the Boys' Industrial Brigade and Home. The Elim Home occupied premises at 39-41 Crumlin Road, Belfast, between St Patrick's Convent and the Mater Infirmorum Hospital.
In 1886, Henderson also became manager of the Olivet Home in Ballygowan.
After Henderson's suicide in 1904, prior to a court appearance over his neglect of the children at Ballygowan, the Elim Home was closed and the property was sold in 1908.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.