St Vincent's School, Tollcross, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

In 1911, the deaf and blind inmates of the Smyllum Orphanage at Lanark were transferred to the newly erected St Vincent's School, at 4 Easterhill Street, Tollcross, near Glasgow. Like its predecessor, the new institution was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.

The School site is shown on the 1934 map below.

St Vincent's School site, Glasgow, c.1934.

St Vincent's School from the south-west, Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

In 1925, the School came under the Glasgow Education Board, and was was extended with money from the Daughters of Charity. Glasgow Education Authority further extended the school in 1965 to meet the needs of Catholic deaf and blind children in Glasgow and surrounding areas. When the Sisters withdrew from this service in 1985, the residential block was demolished as the school became a day school only.

A hostel for blind women was also located at the site

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography