Mount Hermon Orphan Home, Sevenoaks, Kent
The Mount Hermon Orphan Home was originally established in 1863 and had premises in Kilburn, north London. In 1905, the Home — still in the charge of Mrs Mary Ann Parry — moved to Park Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent, a location sometimes referred to as The Vine. The new premises could accommodate up to 28 girls, aged from 5 to 12 years at their date of admission.
The Home site is shown on the 1909 map below.
As at Kilburn, the girls were trained in housework and needlework, with situations in domestic service found for them at the age of 15.
The Home is believed to have ceased operation at the time of the Second World War. The premises are now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.